Technical Support – Software Applications Technician
An Unrivalled Opportunity
Silver Fox is a leading manufacturer of cable, wire, and pipe labels for a variety of sectors around the world, including Rail, Data, Power, Construction, Renewable Energy, Oil & Gas. Based in the UK, Silver Fox ships globally either direct or by their ever-growing network of distributors.
Silver Fox is unique in the marketplace having its own in-house software and unique time-saving solutions that are developed and manufactured at the head office in Hertfordshire. In 2005 Silver Fox was one of only 70 companies nationally that received the Queen’s Award for Enterprise – International Trade. In 2017 they were recognised by the Chamber of Commerce for our activities in export. The company continues to grow, with a fantastic product range and team.
The Ideal Candidate
An enthusiastic, ‘roll-your-sleeves-up’ technician, to help grow the business and grow their own skillset. This is a full-time role where you will be reporting to the Head of Research and Development
- Able to work with all applications support issues seamlessly
- Able to deliver excellent technical engineering standards
- To deal with short deadlines in a calm and efficient manner
- To politely and efficiently guide customers to find quick resolutions to their questions
- Ability to communicate clearly & effectively in person, email & via telephone
- High level of organisational skills
- Multi-tasking ability is a must
- To show a high level of determination to find the resolution as to how to make things work
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively supporting sales and marketing team
- Comfortable and willing to be a hands-on contributor
- Excellent communication and project management skills, including managing issues and issue tracking
- Attention to detail is critical
- The Applications Technician will be able to provide first line support to distributors and customers via email, telephone, possible site visits and attendance at exhibitions.
- Create and deliver internal and external training and support to colleagues.
- Actively support commercial discussions with appropriate technical input – Being part of the decision making process for future software updates.
- Working with developer on the technical development of software – to ensure new software releases are operational and are presented with an increasingly intuitive UI.
- New software releases are made approximately every 12 – 18 months.
- Ownership of product support documentation.
- Responsible for providing the information to support the creation of technical literature (datasheets, manuals and web pages) for our products and services – this would be working in conjunction with Marketing Department.
Other responsibilities could include but are not limited to:
- Creating support videos for inclusion within software.
- Maintaining and supporting the website written in WordPress – in conjunction with Marketing Department.
- Maintaining register of Domain Names
- Supporting the internal computer and phone network within Silver Fox. Responsibilities will include ensuring suitable backups are taken from the network server and that the procedures are tested and in place such that these backups can be quickly re-instated in case of need.
- Maintain Software DEV Tracker with Developer to manage bugs and R&D on a Google Docs Sheet.
- Maintenance of software templates – Use the template editor to edit and create new templates. Understand front end development using custom XML. Be able to read, edit and create browser layout definition files. Liaise with developer on new custom requirements.
- £23-26k depending on experience
- Bonus scheme – eligible after six months of employment
- Private healthcare – eligible after six months of employment
- 20 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Personal and Professional Development
- Workplace Company pension
- Team lunches
- Team activities once a quarter, e.g., top golf, go-karting
- All members of staff also receive an extra day off for their birthday
- Book and Film club
- 2 paid days off for volunteering work at a charity of your choice
- Snacks and refreshments
Silver Fox is based in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. The office is a short walk from the bustling town centre, with direct train links to Kings Cross (36 min), Moorgate (48 min), Cambridge (55 min), Potters Bar (13 min), and Stevenage (12 min). The office is just off the A1(M) with onsite parking.
Why work with us?
This is an excellent opportunity to develop a unique, market-leading solution as part of a dedicated and focussed family business. Silver Fox is unique in the marketplace having its own software and unique time-saving solutions that are developed and manufactured in-house. Every day in this role will be different, and you will work with the rest of the company to bring sales strategies and plans to reality. Reading this, some of the tasks may seem daunting, however, you will have the support of the whole Silver Fox team to coach you through all aspects. Silver Fox is looking for someone with the motivation for making things happen and working with us to develop with the team. Is this you? If this is the sort of opportunity you are looking for, please apply.